Congratulations to the NSI grads and projects nominated for the Canadian Screen Awards 2020.
- Best original screenplay – Jeremy LaLonde (NSI Totally Television) with Jonas Chernick – James vs His Future Self
- Ted Rogers Best Feature Length Documentaty Award – nîpawistamâsowin: We Will Stand Up (pictured) – Tasha Hubbard (NSI IndigiDocs) with others
- Best animated short – Docking – Trevor Anderson (NSI Drama Prize), Alyson Richards (NSI Drama Prize, NSI Features First)
- Best TV movie – #Roxy – Camille Beaudoin (NSI Totally Television, NSI Features First), Eric Rebalkin (NSI Business For Producers)
- Best comedy series – Letterkenny – Mark Montefiore (NSI Totally Television)
- Best sketch comedy show & ensemble performance – Baroness Von Sketch Show – Jeff Peeler (NSI Global Marketing) with others
- Best lifestyle program or series – Property Brothers – Jessica Vander Kooij (NSI Lifestyle & Reality Series Producer) with others
- Rob Stewart Award for best science or nature documentary program or series – Turtle Beach – Merit Jensen Carr (NSI Global Marketing)
- Best biography or arts documentary program or series – Finding the Secret Path – Norma Mendoza (NSI Drama Prize) with others
- Best documentary program – Humboldt: The New Season – Chris McIvor (NSI Business for Producers) with others
- Best animated program or series – Corner Gas Animated – Virginia Thompson (NSI Features First) with others
- Best children’s or youth fiction program or series – Holly Hobbie – Anthony Leo (NSI Totally Television) with others
- Best children’s or youth non-fiction program or series – Raven’s Quest – Mindy Laxer (NSI Global Marketing) with others
- Best factual series – (1) First Contact – Vanessa Loewen (NSI Global Marketing), Stephanie Scott (NSI Storytellers) with others; and (2) Paramedics: Life on the Line – Erin Haskett (NSI Drama Prize) with others
- Best direction, drama series – Norma Bailey (NSI Totally Television) – Mary Kills People – “The Key to Faith”
- Best direction, variety or sketch comedy – Jordan Canning (NSI Drama Prize) with Aleysa Young – Baroness von Sketch Show – “Humanity is in an Awkward Stage”
- Best direction, comedy – Jordan Canning – Schitt’s Creek – “Meet the Parents”
- Best direction, children’s or youth – Gloria Kim (NSI Diverse TV Director) with Sharon Lewis – It’s My Party! – “Winter Solstice”
- Best direction, factual – Jennifer Podemski (NSI Global Marketing, Telefilm Canada Spark Plug Program) – Future History – “Awaken/Goshkoziwin”
- Best picture editing, comedy – Mike Fly (NSI Drama Prize) with others – Baroness von Sketch Show – “Humanity is in an Awkward Stage”
- Best sound, fiction – Dale Sheldrake (NSI Totally Television) with others – Vikings – “What Happens in the Cave”
- Best web program or series, fiction – (1) Detention Adventure – Joe Kicak (NSI Drama Prize), Ryan West, Karen Moore (both NSI Features First) and Lauren Corber (NSI Totally Television); and (2) How to Buy a Baby – Lauren Corber with Wendy Litner
- Best direction, web program or series – Sheona McDonald (NSI Global Marketing) – A Short Essay on Men
- Best writing, web program or series – Karen Moore – Detention Adventure – “Contents Under Pressure”
The awards will be presented in Toronto over five days during Canadian Screen Week, including the Canadian Screen Awards broadcast gala which airs live on CBC and CBC Gem on Sunday, March 29.
If we missed your nomination, let us know!
Got alumni news?
Keep the story going and donate today
At NSI, we’re passionate about nurturing storytellers because stories connect us all.
Please consider a donation to support our talented students as part of your charitable giving. Big or small, your gift will provide value-added essentials that enhance their training experience.
Tax receipts are issued for all gifts. Thank you for considering a donation.