Stills from OMA and Sensei
Six TELUS STORYHIVE alumni based in Alberta have teamed up to screen their local heroes documentaries at Globe Cinema in Calgary.
The event takes place on Sunday, December 5. Doors open at 12 p.m. and screenings begin at 12:30 p.m.
The films will screen in two theatres, each showing a different lineup of documentaries. Many of the filmmakers and featured local heroes will be in attendance.
All films were produced through the 2020/2021 Local Heroes Documentary Edition of TELUS STORYHIVE.
Adaptation in the Impoverished City – project lead Kim Firmston
- During the COVID-19 crisis, and on the verge of more to come, three teenagers seek frontline workers to learn what it means to adapt.
Grounded – project lead Kim Molloy
- Meet urban farmer Rod Olson and his band of farming collaborators, and watch as they learn, grow and share their common passion for growing food that nourishes us and leaves Mother Earth even better than when they found it.
Sensei – project lead Jill Roberts
- Natalie Olson was the first Canadian with Down syndrome to achieve her black belt in karate. Now, she’s training for her next big challenge with her coach and friend of over 20 years, Sensei Heather Fidyk.
OMA – project lead Melanie Bahniuk
- Retired nurse and grandma Sandy Moser has made almost 3,000 masks for the Albertan arts community. By herself. For free.
Anonymous Heroes – project lead Linda Pidhirney
- Residents of central Alberta share their incredible experiences of struggle and the aid they receive from anonymous sources.
Two World Creatives: Chasing the Dream – project lead Chivuzo Offiah
- Two young Black artists reach deep into their life experiences to create music for those in search of truth and meaning. Now they are leveraging the power of their art to uplift underserved youths in Calgary.
Got alumni news?
Keep the story going and donate today
At NSI, we’re passionate about nurturing storytellers because stories connect us all.
Please consider a donation to support our talented students as part of your charitable giving. Big or small, your gift will provide value-added essentials that enhance their training experience.
Tax receipts are issued for all gifts. Thank you for considering a donation.