Do you have a passion for storytelling and storytellers and a genuine interest in the training and mentorship of content creators?
The National Screen Institute is seeking an energetic, detail-oriented communications specialist to join our team.
Job title: Communications Specialist
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Status: Full-time, permanent
Reports to: Director of Operations
Application deadline: Monday, February 28, 2022 @ 4 p.m. CT
Download the PDF version here.
Propelled by a visionary network of donors, private and public organizations, staff and board, the National Screen Institute supports diverse creators from across Canada to tell unforgettable stories. Through industry-informed training and mentoring in film, television and digital media, our students and alumni find their voice and place on the global stage, inspiring us to shape a better world.
The ideal candidate values equity, diversity and inclusion, and is knowledgeable about these issues. They will be a supporter of the values which guide the work of the National Screen Institute, have experience working cross-culturally and be committed to serving storytellers from underrepresented communities.
For the foreseeable future, work will be done from home with possible occasional small team meetings in person (subject to public health regulations.) All employees are required to be fully vaccinated and able to provide official verification before their first day of hire.
The National Screen Institute is committed to supporting individuals from underrepresented communities including Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, women, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning and two-spirit (LGBTQ2S+), people with disabilities, those outside large urban centres, those from regional and remote areas and various religious groups. Please let us know if you identify with any of these on your application.
Working alongside the outreach and engagement lead, the communications specialist will be responsible for promoting the National Screen Institute and its programs, communicating the organization’s value and success stories, and ensuring consistency of the brand.
Website and social media content
- Ensure a consistent brand image and voice across the National Screen Institute’s website content and social media channels, and create content as needed.
- Identify and implement strategies to increase the National Screen Institute’s website and positioning, visibility and traffic with existing and new targeted audiences.
- Oversee the work of the outreach and engagement lead in the maintenance of the website and any other online properties (such as NSI Films), including WordPress upkeep and SEO implementation. Ensure website best practices.
- Identify and implement strategies to increase the National Screen Institute’s social media positioning, visibility and traffic with existing and new targeted audiences.
- Develop annual communications plans and strategies for promoting training programs and reaching potential applicants, including researching and creating targeted distribution lists to reach underrepresented communities.
- Work with the outreach and engagement lead to ensure training program information is up to date on the website.
Materials and publications
- Oversee the work of our designers in the creation of promotional materials and ensure consistent branding.
- Write fundraising materials and assist with campaigns.
- Oversee design and layout of promotional material and PowerPoint decks / Google Slides / Canva presentations and other items.
- Ensure correct sponsor and supporter recognition on all materials.
- Work with the outreach and engagement lead and external agencies to prepare a year at a glance / yearbook including content, design, delivery and distribution.
- Manage all publicity, media releases, and media relations to ensure a consistent image and accurate coverage of events and activities.
- Work with the outreach and engagement lead to maintain an updated list of media contacts and manage the collection and filing of stories.
- Work with staff to identify stories or other potential media opportunities for the organization.
- Develop and maintain a budget.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Please note, this list is a range of responsibilities required for this job but is not all-inclusive. Tasks may be added or revised.
- Superior writing skills (shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a writing test during the interview)
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, and ability to meet deadlines
- Desire and ability to initiate and take ownership of projects, as appropriate
- Highly self-motivated and detail-minded
- Proactive approach to problem solving
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Desire to develop and nurture the skills of others and share expertise
- Minimum five years of communications / marketing experience
- Strong working knowledge of WordPress, Google Analytics, Mailchimp, Photoshop and the Office suite of tools
- Strong understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) and online marketing
- Proven success designing and executing communications and fundraising strategies and campaigns
- Experience working with design agencies
- Experience writing fundraising messaging
- Experience working with budgets
- Technical knowledge and a solid understanding of HTML and / or the ability to code, and sound and video editing would be an asset
We encourage you to review the National Screen Institute website prior to applying.
Please submit a resume indicating relevant experience and a cover letter expressing your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Screen Institute thanks all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.