Job title: Senior Manager, Programs & Development
Organization: National Screen Institute – Canada (NSI)
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Application deadline: September 30 by 5 p.m., Central Time
PDF: Download a PDF of this job posting
The National Screen Institute – Canada (NSI) is a charitable, not-for-profit organization. Renowned for having given many content creators their first breaks, NSI provides customized training, mentorship and production support through courses like NSI Totally Television, CBC New Indigenous Voices presented by NSI, NSI Business for Producers, NSI IndigiDocs, NSI New Northern Voices and TELUS STORYHIVE.
NSI’s portable, world-class training develops emerging and established Canadian creators and their projects for the global marketplace.
NSI programs are created through ongoing, extensive consultation with industry and have led to successful careers by strengthening graduates’ skills and providing a competitive edge. 91% of NSI grads are working in the film and TV industries today (2018 survey).
NSI is seeking a senior manager, programs and development to manage a slate of programs including NSI’s Indigenous and diversity training initiatives. The successful candidate will contribute to the management team on other training programs and initiatives as required. This is a full-time position based in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
NSI is committed to nurturing a respectful and inclusive workplace. We welcome applicants from diverse communities including women and/or Indigenous and/or People of Colour and/or LGBTQ2+ and/or people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Working with senior administration as a member of the program management team, the senior manager, programs and development is expected to oversee the administration and delivery of NSI programs with specific duties as follows:
Job duties / accountabilities
- Research and design curricula
- Work with industry to determine training needs
- Participate in and contribute to NSI’s strategic planning
- Attend industry events as applicable and as budget allows
- Manage several existing scripted and non-scripted training programs
- Initiate calls for submissions to training programs
- Oversee and participate in the jury process for selecting teams / participants
- Conduct the initial team interviews for needs assessment and preparation of teams / participants for boot camp training
- Coordinate boot camp intensive training sessions
- Book facilitators for training sessions
- Travel for training sessions (as health and government restrictions allow)
- Work closely with external training experts and guest faculty during training and liaise throughout the year with program facilitators as needed
- Be available to teams / participants at all stages of training to troubleshoot and provide support
- Liaise with program sponsors as required
- Manage program expenses and budget
- Manage contracts and invoices for contract program staff as required
- Work with NSI staff to coordinate the release of program news
- Deliver interim and final reports
- Follow NSI policies and procedures
- Solid knowledge of and experience in the media production industry
- Thorough understanding of story development and the ability to effectively convey that knowledge to program participants
- Knowledge of the production process from development to delivery
- Ability to offer creative feedback on projects
- Ability to provide mentorship
- Experience working with budgets
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for storytelling
- Experience working in production, development and / or management of projects in the digital media, film and television industries
- Ability to identify skills that need to be covered in a training program and identify appropriate industry experts to deliver training and / or mentorship
- Established relationships within the digital media, film and television industries
- Experience writing proposals and reports
- A genuine interest in the training and mentorship of content creators
- The ability to multi-task, problem solve and troubleshoot
Please note, this list is a range of responsibilities required for this job but is not all-inclusive. Tasks may be added or revised.
We encourage applicants to review NSI program information.
Please submit a resume indicating relevant experience and a cover letter expressing your interest in the position to email@example.com.
Application deadline: Wednesday, September 30, 2020; 5 p.m. Central Time.
NSI thanks all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.