Sherry Mckay is an Ojibway Anishinabe creator and stand-up comedian from Treaty 1 Territory. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba and band member of Sakgeeng First Nation.
Her birth father originates from Sandy Bay Ojibway First Nation.
She’s a proud mother of four and credits her role as a mother to her perseverance and ambition.
Her childhood dream was to become a police officer and fight on behalf of her Indigenous community on social issues regarding systemic racism and racial profiling. When in a university police prep course she discovered her passion for policing was driven by the desire to help her Indigenous community and not to reprimand or punish.
She discovered a way to share important messages and engage in education and discussions regarding Indigenous issues such as MMIWG2S, systemic racism and cultural appropriation.
It was through media she noticed a shift where Indigenous people can share and educate.
Her short period at Red River College’s creative communications program gave her the necessary skills to start her journey into media production. Her focus is to assert Indigenous representation in media and film.
TikTok is where she has had the biggest impact on her journey. She plans to use her platform to further amplify the voices of Indigenous people and People of Colour
Her future aspirations are to write and direct her own movie and sitcom series with an Indigenous focus.
Her content consists of Indigenous comedy, awareness and stereotypes.
Sherry acknowledges non-Indigenous allyship on and off social media and gives thanks and appreciation to anyone who stands in solidarity with Indigenous people.
Manager of Programs & Development
Sarah is a multi-talented Indigenous woman, born and raised on Treaty 1 Territory, (Winnipeg, Manitoba) and registered to Long Plain First Nation. She is a filmmaker with extensive experience who is dedicated to her craft and has made multiple short films that have screened at North American festivals. She strives to create stories and to help others share their stories through the medium of filmmaking.
Sarah went from thinking filmmaking could only be a hobby to making it a full-time career for herself: as a production manager for various productions and working at the National Screen Institute.
Co-Manager, TikTok Accelerator for Indigenous Creators
Erica is an award-winning MAYAA Anishinaabe artist/community connector located in Winnipeg on Treaty 1 Territory.
I’ve had an interesting journey with several companies that align with my morals within the arts, community and culture sector, starting off in theatre acting.
I’ve had many opportunities to work with folks across Canada as an actor and a stage manager which has helped me in more complex titles. Some of my current highlighted titles surround granting systems and include Winnipeg Arts Council board member and Canadian Roots Exchange Advisory Circle Member. I’ve been a juror for Manitoba Arts Council, Canadian Roots Exchange, National Screen Institute and Gimli Film Festival. I’ve also worked in many capacities with Indigenous communities in nonprofits, volunteering and community engagement.
I truly believe in the circle of mentorship when it comes to learning and defining new practices. In many stages of my career I’ve been able to share my perspective in communication, mentorship and education. It’s an absolute pleasure to be part of the National Screen Institute as a co-manager for the TikTok Accelerator for Indigenous Creators for another year.
- Angela Aula – Toronto, ON (TikTok handle: @inuk.beauty)
- Ariana Fotinakis – Salt Spring Island, BC (@ariana_fotinakis)
- Asha Frost – Newmarket, ON (@ashafrost)
- Ashley Lamothe – Peterborough, ON (@creativekwe)
- Aurora Ominika-Enosse – Ottawa, ON (@fosterrora)
- Braden Johnston – Calgary, AB (@kadlun)
- Brianne Cavan-Heard – Brantford, ON (@briski89xo)
- Carolina East – St. John’s, NL (@carolina.east.music)
- Cedar Étoile – Port Alberni, BC (@cedartaatawasi)
- Christopher Britt – Toronto, ON (@ndn_chef416)
- Cristi Adams – Calgary, AB (@indigenx)
- Denita Gladeau – Montreal, QC (@lushtre)
- Heather Dickson – Whitehorse, YT (@dicksondesigns)
- Inuk Trennert – Yellowknife, NWT (@inuk360)
- Jennifer Calliou – High Prairie, AB (@jennicali)
- Jesse Benjamin – Lower Sackville, NS (@jesse_benjamin_)
- Jolie Rousselle – Heron Bay, ON (@joliemarie23)
- Julia Ulayok Davis – Winnipeg, MB (@juliaulayok)
- Karmen Omeasoo – Winnipeg, MB (@hellnbackmusic)
- Kelly Krakalovich – Winnipeg, MB (@kellykristin2)
- Keyhew Preston-Gopher – North Battleford, SK (@keyhew_preston)
- Lakeeysha Marie – Vernon, BC (@lakeeyshamarie)
- Lillian Thorne – Duncan, BC (@n8ive_teacher)
- Lisa Muswagon – Winnipeg, MB (@lisamuswagon)
- Meagan Angus – Saskatoon, SK (@maedonuts)
- Melissa Commandant – Ottawa, ON (@meldiditherself)
- Michelle Robinson – Calgary, AB (@native_calgarian)
- Nicole Janis Qavavauq-Bibeau – Saint-Constant, QC (@arcticfrostbyte)
- Orene Askew – West Vancouver, BC (@djoshow143)
- Rachel Jacobs – Surrey, BC (@raychjacobs)
- Renee Alook – Edmonton, AB (@haazeparadise)
- Rosie Johnnie-Mills – Vancouver, BC (@rosejohnniemills)
- Shayne Stanger – Charlottetown, PEI (@shayne_mychael___yyg)
- Shyleigh Larocque – Gesgapegiag, QC (@maeleetv)
- Skylene Gladue – Edmonton, AB (@nipiyiskwew)
- Taylor Nichols – Sherwood Park, AB (@itsnotdoneyet.cos)
- Victoria Turko – Winnipeg, MB (@victoriaturko)
- Willow Allen – Inuvik, NWT (@willow.allen)
- Star Anderson – Winnipeg, MB (TikTok handle: staranderson1)
- Lynn-Marie Angus – Vancouver, BC (sisters_sage)
- Thea Arthurson – Oliver, BC (cree..thea)
- Eagle Blackbird – Wallaceburg, ON (itzeaglee)
- Erin Brillon – Courtenay, BC (totemdesign)
- Vanessa Brousseau – Welland, ON (resilientInuk)
- Daniel Cutknife – Wetaskiwin, AB (zombieeagle7)
- Celeste Day Rider – Lethbridge, AB (celestedayrider)
- Jenny Kay Dupuis – North York, ON (jennykaydupuis)
- Sebastian Gaskin – Winnipeg, MB (sebastiangaskin)
- Hailey Hamelin-Wilson – Edmonton, AB (haileyykat)
- Penína Sara-Lynn Harding – Prince George, BC (academic_aunty)
- Crystal Harrison Collin – Sioux Lookout, ON (crystalharrisoncollin)
- Billi-J Heavy Shields – Standoff, AB (deadlyblackfoot_ma)
- Deanne Hupfield – Toronto, ON (deannehupfield)
- Jocelyn Joe-Strack – Whitehorse, YT (auntyjocey)
- Christina King – Tuktoyaktuk, NWT (taalrumiq)
- Richard Lush – Springvale, PEI (lightskinlnu)
- Brennen McGuire – Shannonville, ON (slapppps)
- Zachary Mann – Winnipeg, MB (neighbourhoodneechie)
- Shania Morin – Saskatoon, SK (wapimuskwa)
- Sean Morriseau – Thunder Bay, ON (nativepoolboy)
- Matthew Brian Shorting – Winnipeg, MB (travelingstarman)
- Kailey Simon – Elsipogtog, NB (sleepingpolarbr)
- Jessica Taylor – Regina, SK (jessalexamakeup)
- Kesha Tipewan – Saskatoon, SK (keshaheals)
- Lori Ann Tulugak-Kopak – Naujaat, NU (loraven16)
- Xavier Watso – Montreal, QC (watso_)